Monday, October 12, 2009

Tapping into my inner Martha

So I am starting to become more adventurous in my cooking and what not. Today we made the pumpkin bird feeders (for family) and then while the kids were napping I made pumpkin puree from a pie pumpkin to make homemade pumpkin pie! I also made quiche for dinner. YUMMY!! It was pretty fantastic. The quiche recipe came from my wonderful friend e.m. I felt like Martha Stewart. I love being able to do this kind of homemade stuff. So much fun. There is something so satisfying about it. It was my first time making quiche (I also cooked the fresh spinach to go in the quiche, another first) and my first time making the pumpkin puree. Tomorrow I tackle the pie portion!

This is a great site for make your own pumpkin puree and pies. It even has pictures. Click Here

Spinach and Sausage Quiche


Ingredients:
6 large eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of frozen baby spinach, chopped- cook it and drain it.
½ package sausage-the kind in the tube (like Jimmy Dean’s breakfast sausage), cooked and chopped
2 cups cheese- swiss and cheddar
3 tablespoons Romano cheese
1 9-inch frozen Deep Dish pie crust

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Cook sausage and spinach.
Combine eggs, cream, salt and pepper in blender.
Layer spinach, sausage, and cheese in crust.
Pour eggs on top.
Sprinkle with Romano cheese.
Bake about 40 minutes with foil on top.
Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.

*You can also change the ingredients- make a pepper, onion, and mushrooms one, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment